circa 1770s, figured mahogany drawer fronts, poplar and oak secondary woods, fitted cabinet top section with broken pediment cornice, fallboard opening to a fitted interior, four graduated drawers with original pierced batwing brasses, 44-1/2 x 44 x 22 in.
Provenance: By tradition, commissioned for Captain Samuel Gilford, NY, circa 1770; descended in the Gilford family to Samuel Townsend Gilford, NY; Thence by inheritance to Anna Riker Gilford (Mrs Samuel Townsend Gilford); Gift from Anna Riker Gilford October 1, 1948; Property from the Brooklyn Museum
Biographical Note
Samuel Gilford was a sea captain and shipping merchant who lived and worked in New York City from the mid-eighteenth century to the early 19th century. Little is currently known about his birthplace or early life. Samuel Gilford married Penelope Codwise on December 13th, 1759, and together they had three known sons: Samuel Gilford Jr., Thomas B. Gilford, and Jacob T. Gilford. They also had a daughter named Mary, and it is possible that they also had other children. In 1773 Samuel Gilford bought the old house at 122 William Street, which was also known as the "Golden Hill Inn." He resided there until he was forced to leave New York because of the Revolution, and did not return to the house until 1783. After the Revolution, the Gilfords built another home next door, 124 William Street. Samuel Gilford lived at 122 William Street until his death in 1821. The Gilford family also owned at least two slaves in the 1760's, a woman named Cuba and a boy named Prince.
Samuel Gilford's shipping firm primarily did business in the United States, Great Britain, Jamaica, and the West Indies. Gilford shipped, purchased and sold all manner of goods, including sugar, rum, and other spirits. When he was old enough, Samuel Gilford Jr. joined his father in the business and they formed the firm Samuel Gilford and Son. Their offices were located at 61 Front Street.
See: https://findingaids.library.nyu.edu/nyhs/ms249_samuel_gilford/
Available payment options
By tradition, commissioned for Captain Samuel Gilford, NY, circa 1770; descended in the Gilford family to Samuel Townsend Gilford, NY; Thence by inheritance to Anna Riker Gilford (Mrs Samuel Townsend Gilford); Gift from Anna Riker Gilford October 1, 1948; Property from the Brooklyn Museum
Very good integrity, brasses appear original, original feet and most blocking, proper right front foot with break and repair at back with added spline (side return likely restored), loss to top section proper left base molding, crack to fallboard proper left upper corner, lopers missing pulls, foot wear and other typical wear with scattered minor splits and scratches to finish
Note - Brunk Auctions makes every effort to offer accurate and thorough information, but encourages prospective bidders to inspect items in person whenever possible. Condition statements are provided as a courtesy for general guidance and should not be considered complete or definitive. They do not represent a warranty or assumption of liability by Brunk Auctions. Certain condition issues may not be specifically noted in the report but may be visible in the accompanying photographs, which are considered part of the overall condition report. Please refer to our Terms of Sale for complete information and contact us for additional photos or information as needed.